Collaborative Research Paper Evaluation
The following is a list of questions that I will ask myself as I evaluate your
research papers. Keep in mind that I am taking on the role of the "scholarly,
critical audience" that is typically invoked in college research papers;
your paper needs to show consideration for this deceptively complex rhetorical
- Rhetorical Appropriateness–
- Have you presented an argument that is timely and relevant? Is your topic
meaningful? Does the issue that you address offer you a reasonable chance
of rhetorical success? Have you presented an argument with realistic aims?
- Do you pose your argument in a way that is convincing to a scholarly,
critical audience using the modes of persuasion that are familiar and effective
to them (in this case, a traditional "rational" argument, with
strong emphasis on ethos and logos)?
- Ultimately, is your argument likely to be effective with its audience?
- Appropriate Construction of Ethos—Does article take the appropriate
steps to construct your ethos? Do you use the quotations, statistics,
and other forms of evidence from reputable and believable sources? Do you
do so in a way that constructs your own ethos as an informed participant
in a scholarly debate, or does your paper read like the collected opinions
of an underinformed individual?
- Style Does your article adopt the formal, stylistic conventions of
an undergraduate research paper? Despite being written by two or three people,
does it read as if it was written by one (that is, does it avoid obvious disparities
in written style, modes of argumentation, etc.)? Does it follow with due strictness
the citation style that you have chosen (MLA or APA)?
- Group Dynamics—Have you made sufficient effort in
your peer evaluation memos to keep me aware of the activities within your
group, your obligations to each other, and how those obligations were or were
not met? Do the evaluations from you and your peers suggest that you contributed
a "fair share" of the labor and have contributed productively to
the effort overall?